Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Blog Posting Frequency: How Many Times a Day Should You Post to Build Traffic

One of the most effective ways to increase your blog's traffic is to post to it several times a day. But, if you're like me -- an overworked freelance writer who doesn't have time to do that -- you may be thinking, "Do I really need to post several times a day?"

Blog Posting Frequency: Why You Shouldn't Worry about Posting Multiple Times a Day

My answer is probably not, and here's why.

Search engines look for fresh content. While posting more frequently to your blog will get your site crawled more by search engines (hence increase your backlinks), if your blog posts quality content, it will get linked to (create backlinks) and over time, you will still build up site traffic.

The phrase over time is italicized because it's a slower build.

The thing is, some popular sites (eg, DoshDosh.com) post less than once a day and still get tremendous traffic. But, they've built their reputation to the point where they can afford to do this. And, as Maki points out in this post, you need to figure out what you want from your blog. That, in large part, will help you determine a blog posting frequency.

How to Quickly Build a Blog Audience

If you want to quickly build a blog audience, though, you will no doubt have to post not only top-quality content, but do it several times a day when you first start out. Then, you'll have to promote it. This can be via article marketing, social networking, PPC ads, etc. You can slack off after you've hit critical mass, which will probably take six months to a year or more. Again, it all depends on what you want your blog to achieve.

As blogging Johnathan Fields reveals in his post, Posting patterns of top-bloggers revealed, "It seems pretty clear the biggest bang for your blog-launch buck and quest to hit your tipping point is daily posting. And, once you’ve hit that magical critical mass that fuels highly-accelerated growth, a variety of options are available, with the unifying quest being the need to maintain quality."

I've vascillated on this. I tried to cut back consistently -- and do when I'm extremely busy -- but I tend to pretty much post 3-4 times a week. As I tend to write long posts, I don't feel the pressure to absolutely, positively push out 5-7 posts a week.

What do you think? How often do you update your blog? What posting schedule would you like me to maintain?

Article Marketing Contest Update: On Friday, I posted the article, 8 Keys to Making Between $75,000 to $100,000/year as a Freelance SEO Writer, to IdeaMarketers.com. Yesterday, I posted the article, Blog Posting Rates: How Much Should You Charge for Blog Posting, to Amazines.com. Today I posted 5 Signs It's Time to Move Your Blog to Another Platform to Amazines.com.

[Note: I tend to post to these two article directories a lot b/c they're not fussy like EzineArticles.com, for example, yet still carry high-quality articles.]

Hope everybody enjoyed the long weekend. I worked. I tend not to mind working on holidays because the pressure of checking email, getting back to clients and being "at the ready" is not there. So on those rare occasions when I do find myself having to work on a holiday, I find it more relaxing than cumbersome.

And, the fact that I'm going to Jamaica in July doesn't have a thing to do with this attitude :-).

Sincerely,
Yuwanda Black, Publisher
http://inkwelleditorial.com/
http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/
http://seo-article-writer.com/
http://seo-articles-for-sale.com/
How to Start a Successful Freelance Writing Career Newsletter
P.S.: Want the liberty of working from home as a freelance writer in your PJs, getting assignments via the internet? Click here for a selection of ebooks on how to start a successful career as a home-based freelance writer. All you need is a computer and an internet connection to get started
.***********************************************
Freelance Success Stories! There are freelancers who make very good livings at what they love. Inkwell Editorial’s newsletter features these successful professionals who put to rest the phrase, “starving freelancer.”

Previous Issue. Spotlight on How to Make $75,000 to $100,000/Year as an SEO Writer. In this issue, I dispense the 8 keys to my success as an SEO writer. There are some definites that must gel to find success in this field. I outline them all here. And of course, it’s based on my own personal experience. Subscribe to read this, and all previous, issues.Current Issue.

Spotlight on Newbie Freelancers. In this issue, one freelancer tells how he garnered enough clients to quit his job in just 12 hours! And, there's also some blog warning tips if you're looking to move your blog from one platform to another -- and more! Subscribe to read this, and all previous, issues.
***********************************************
Copyright © 2008 InkwellEditorial.com: Freelance success stories, e-courses, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Except where noted, no part of this site may be reproduced in any manner without the express, written consent of the publisher. Violators will be prosecuted.

2 comments:

Meryl K. Evans said...

I've rarely ever posted more than once a day in eight years of blogging. I'm no Boing Boing and I know there are thousands of great blogs out there... why would people want to see me post more than once a day? Heck, I rarely do five times a week anymore.

Quality is more important than quantity especially when you're the lone blogger.

Yuwanda Black said...

I agree Meryl about quality being more important quantity. But the research I've been doing seems to point to both being important UNTIL you hit a certain critical mass point (however you define that for yourself), then you can ease off.

Whatever the case, as I'm the only blogger here, I just don't see being able to do more than I already do (3-4 times a week).

Thanks for your input.

BTW, enjoy your vacation. I can't wait to read the guests posters you have coming up in your absence.

Yuwanda