Monday, April 02, 2007

How Blogging Led to an Editor-in-Chief’s Job Offer

I’ve been blogging since 2005. I do it consistently, eg, 3-5 times a week, and dispense helpful information (at least I do my best too).

As I wrote in last Thursday's post, blogging recently led to a career-changing opportunity. A client I’d done some consulting for offered me a position as Editor-in-Chief of an industry start-up magazine.

Good for You; What’s that Got to Do With Me?

I write of this offer, not to brag, but to impart how blogging can lead to opportunities you never knew existed. BUT, for this to happen, there are some “rules” you should adhere to.

*************************
Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com to learn how.
*************************

NOTE: Rules is in quotation marks because these are just from my personal experience and the feedback I’ve received from readers and clients alike. As far as I know, there is no industry standard (although, as I type this, I’m thinking maybe I could start one).

“Rules” for Blogging that Advance Your Career

1. Longevity: What do I mean? Consider the following:Almost every society teaches that to advance, education is the key. As a recruiter, I can tell you first hand that there are many jobs that can be done without a college degree. A degree is your access card. Without it, you can’t even enter the game.

BUT, many employers will not even consider candidates without a degree. The point? A degree says that you are disciplined enough to finish a course of study over and beyond a high school education.

Spending two or four years of your time and money to acquire more knowledge proves to potential employers that you have initiative, drive and dedication – and have hopefully picked up some key knowledge along the way.

What does this have to do with blogging? My point is longevity. In my opinion, you should blog – consistently – for a year before you even think about trying to use your blog to promote yourself.

There are many blogs that have been abandoned long before the year mark. Just think how this would reflect on you if you decided to quit.

Much like getting a four-year degree, blogging consistently for at least a year tells potential employers a lot about your drive, initiative and dedication.

2. Voice: I recently picked up a new client who read my blog. He didn’t ask for samples or anything – just gave me a job. Why? He said he liked the tone of my blog – the fact that my personality got through.

This is such a subjective concept, but what I took from that is to be yourself in your blog – but adhere to rules of decency (ie, no profanity or blasphemous rants (eg, sexist, racist, etc. comments)).

What you put into the blogosphere is there forever – even if you discontinue your blog. Don’t censor yourself, but do think if this will come back to bite you in the butt 3, 5 or 10 years from now.

3. Write Coherently: I recently received an email from a potential client about writing some articles for his organization. When I asked him why he chose me above all the other freelancers who were available on the site where he found me, he wrote back:

"I contacted you because of the quality of your articles, which I think are very good."

Again, this is not to brag, but all I do is adhere to basic rules of grammar and form cohesive thought patterns. Much like writing a term paper in college, blog posts should make sense. Ideas should flow logically from one point to the next.

Some blogs appear to be written by people with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). They flit from topic to topic with no thought for the reader.

Now this is fine if it’s personal and you just want to “rant space.” If this is the case, say so. However, if you are blogging to advance your career, think about potential employers/clients who may discover your posts. Will they reflect negatively or positively on your writing ability?

4. Advertise Yourself: While my job offer came out of the blue, advertise the fact that you are for hire in your blog. Do it with every blog post. This is something I need to start doing.
How to Advertise Yourself on Your Blog

Sample Blog Advert Jane Smith is a copywriter whose niche is business and finance. She produces brochures, web copy, e-books, sales letters and more. Clients include accountants, financial advisors, mortgage brokers, etc. For a full list of clients, see www.JaneSmith.com/clientlist.htm.

Ms. Smith can be contacted directly at 212-555-3456; info@JaneSmith.com; website: www.JaneSmith.com.

Blogging is not a fly-by-night trend; it’s here to stay. So, add it as a marketing weapon in your career-advancing arsenal.
*************************
Copyright Notice: May be reprinted with the following, in full: Yuwanda Black is the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com: THE business portal for and about the editorial and creative industries. First-hand freelance success stories, e-courses, job postings, resume tips, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com to learn how.
*************************
Like what you read here? Find the content useful and informative? Subscribe to the Inkwell Editorial feed (under the LINKS section to your right) to receive new content immediately upon publishing. OR, email your address to subscribe and receive job listings -- immediately!

No comments: