Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Your Editorial Marketing Q's Answered -- & More!

A reader wrote in with the following questions -- and a very nice comment:

I was very happy when I stumbled upon your website. It is a great resource!! Thank you for this! Moderator Note: I blush at the praise and thank you for your kind words. Now, on to your questions!

I have a couple of questions. I have worked as an editor for the last 5 years for two companies. Both companies edit testing materials for school such as standardized tests and preparatory materials. While I love what I do, I find myself not very happy with my current employer.

I have sent my resume to several different companies but have received no response. Some of these companies are outside of the educational publishing industry. Do you have any ideas how I can more effectively market myself to other industries?

ANSWER: See the following link to the February 2005 issue of our blog (See the Monday, February 21, 2005 and Thursday, February 24, 2005 posts).
http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_inkwelleditorial_archive.html (read the Feb 22 & Feb 24, 2005 posts)

Also, see this topic, "The Worst Time to Send Your Marketing Materials/Resume" under the March 10, 2005 post on our blog (about midway the post). Access this link: http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_inkwelleditorial_archive.html

Finally, see our resume tips for editorial professionals at this link: http://www.inkwelleditorial.com/resumetips.htm

Remember, although these things may seem minor, it's the little things that can cause your credentials to be reviewed -- or not.

My second question is about freelancing. I am also trying to do some freelance work on the side. I have reviewed some local websites and found them to be riddled with editorial errors. My thought was to try to partner with Web masters to help them present sites that are more professional and offer a better first impression to the many people that will see the site.

I'm not sure how to market this idea to Web masters. I don't want to be insulting. Do you have any suggestions on how I can market my editing services to Web masters?

ANSWER: See the following link to the April 2005 issue of our blog (See Monday, April 18th). The answer to your question can be found in question 6 -- it's the exact question you ask here: http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_inkwelleditorial_archive.html

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for the help you offer.
Moderator Note: You're welcome!

Editorially yours,
Y. Black, Moderator
InkwellEditorial.com
********************************************************************
P.S.: Learn everything you need to know to work from home as a Freelance Writer, Editor, Proofreader, etc. How? Get Our Entire Library of Work-at-Home Ebooks for only $19.95!

Save $47.70!

Get 7 EBooks in All, Which Include the Following:
Medical Editing/Copyediting: An Overview (Reg. $4.95);
The Truth about Participating in Surveys & Focus Groups (Reg. $3.95);
How to Really Make a Living as an Editorial Freelancer (Reg. $9.95);
Advice from Successful Editorial Freelancers (Reg. $9.95);
The Small Business Owner's Complete Marketing Kit! (Reg. 24.95);
and more!

P.P.S.: Place Your Order Now for Immediate Delivery via Email!

No comments: